AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > News > Former baggage handler sentenced over hoax Mayday calls at Melbourne Airport
News

Former baggage handler sentenced over hoax Mayday calls at Melbourne Airport

Bryan Pearce
Last updated: October 2, 2019, 12:28 UTC
Published: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, at 14:00 UTC
Category: News
Author: Bryan Pearce
melbourneairport.com.au
SHARE
melbourneairport.com.au

Paul Sant, a former baggage handler that made hoax calls to ATC and aircraft around Melbourne Airport in October 2016, has been sentenced.

Mr Sant has previously pleaded guilty to three charges; endangering the safety of an aircraft in flight, transmitting a false mayday call knowing it was likely to endanger the safety of another person, and interfering with radio communications.

ABC Australia reports that just before the hoax calls, Mr Sant “had lost his job at Virgin Australia as a baggage handler but had continued to put on his uniform and pretend to go to work.”

ABC also reports the sequence of calls made in October 2016:

  • Mr Sant instructed flight VA 1371 to abort take-off (was actually landing) at approximately 15:47 AEDT 25 October 2016. ATC alerted the crew it was a hoax and the flight landed as normal
  • A go around call was made to JQ 477 at 16:07 AEDT the same day. ATC also alerted the crew that the call was a hoax
  • Another go around call was made to QF 443 at 16:30 AEDT the same day. ATC alerted the crew the call was a hoax.
  • A go around call was made to VA 740 at 15:30 AEDT 27 October 2016. On that occasion, not knowing the command was a hoax, the Virgin Australia crew obeyed. As a result the aircraft breached the 3nm separation zone between aircraft, coming within 1.8nm of JQ 740. JQ 740 was preparing to take off. The Prosecutor told the court the similarity of the Virgin and Jetstar callsigns caused extra confusion.
  • At 19:30 AEDT the same day Sant made the hoax Mayday call.

The court heard that Mr Sant, who was 19 at the time, had “behavioural issues from the age of three, came from a dysfunctional family and had been living in state-run residential care since the age of 14.” He also has Asperger’s Syndrome.

In sentencing Mr Sant, Judge Hampel noted his family life where his family didn’t accept his Autism Spectrum Disorder and didn’t get him assistance. However, the judge also noted his Asperger’s didn’t reduce his moral culpability. The judge also told him his actions were “dangerous and [that] could have had terrifying, perhaps fatal consequences. Such behaviour is totally unacceptable. You may have been young, you may have thought it was just funny, just silly but … the potential for real, serious and significant harm way beyond what you might have contemplated was very real.” and the seriousness of the offending “must be marked by the imposition of a term of imprisonment.”

The judge sentenced Mr Sant to 2 years imprisonment, but released him on a recognisance release order. The order requires he be of good behaviour for the 2 years among other conditions. He is also subject to a 12 month Community Corrections Order.

Mr Sant had previously served 31 days in custody after being charged, before being released on bail.

The maximum penalty is 20 years imprisonment.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

LATEST NEWS

TUI Boeing 737 MAX 8 to Manchester declared an emergency due to low fuel
Emergency Europe Tracking UK
August 23, 2026
TUI Airways Boeing 737 MAX 8
BY BY439 EMA G-TUMN MAN
Several flights diverted following a security breach at Manchester airport
Europe News UK
August 22, 2026
MAN
Thai Airways Boeing 777 flight TG921 to Bangkok declared an emergency and just returned to Frankfurt
Emergency Europe Germany Tracking
August 21, 2026
Thai Airways Boeing 777-3ALER
FRA HS-TKK TG TG921
United UA817 from San Francisco declared an emergency and diverted to Los Angeles
Emergency Tracking USA
August 21, 2026
United Airlines Airbus A320-232
LAX N495UA UA UA817
British Airways BA756 to Geneva was forced to divert to Paris CDG
Europe France Tracking
August 21, 2026
British Airways Airbus A320-232
BA BA756 CDG G-EUUD
Finland suspects Russian Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft of violating its airspace
Europe Military
August 21, 2026

Related news

NewsTrackingUSA

A Delta pilot requested to stay low after departure from Austin to fly over his kids in the pool

August 18, 2026
AustraliaNews

ATSB reveals a 33-centimeter maintenance light was left in the wing of a Qantas A380

August 18, 2026
EuropeGermanyIncidentNews

Tire skid marks suggest a potential disaster was narrowly averted at Munich this weekend

August 17, 2026
Middle EastNews

UAE carrier resumes overflights of Iranian airspace

August 17, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?