AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > News > Passengers complain over Jetstar cancellations
News

Passengers complain over Jetstar cancellations

Bryan Pearce
Last updated: July 7, 2018, 20:22 UTC
Published: Saturday, July 7, 2018, at 20:22 UTC
Category: News
Author: Bryan Pearce
Image Source: 9news.com.au
SHARE
Image Source: 9news.com.au

Many Jetstar passengers were left angry on Thursday (local time) after the airline cancelled several flights from Sydney. The cancellations also coincided with the start of school holidays.

Claire Stephenson told 9 News that she received an early morning text message from the airline saying that her 12 year old son’s flight had been cancelled with no explanation given. Her son was travelling with a 12 year friend, but according to Ms Stephenson the airline left them unaccompianed for 9 hours while they were waiting to board another flight they had been re-booked on.

“They’d been staying with my dad. He took them to the airport, they were told that their flight was cancelled and they were rebooked onto a 4pm flight and there was no explanation. I called the Jetstar call centre to find out what the problem was and I got a lady who basically said that it was due to operational reasons. (Jetstar said that) because they have a policy on their website that children can travel independently from 12 years of age, it is expected that they can manage the situation.”

When she later called the boys to check on them she said, “[the boys said] that a customer assistant at Sydney Airport had told them to wait by a Jetstar desk ‘and someone would monitor them.'” She also said they were not offered water or food. Their rebooked flight was then delayed for 1 hour after boarding due to “aircraft technical issues.”

Jetstar told news.com.au has the cancellations due to several issues:

JQ143 from Sydney to Gold Coast was cancelled as the plane was unable to land before Sydney Airport’s curfew the previous night.

JQ503 from Sydney to Melbourne was cancelled due to 2 crew members being sick. This also resulted the return leg, JQ510, being cancelled.

JQ507 from Sydney to Melbourne and JQ408 from Sydney to Gold Coast were also cancelled due to not being able to land the previous night due to Sydney’s curfew.

A Jetstar spokesperson also told news.com.au, “teams were working to get every single passenger on the next available flight. We run 400 flights a day so these things are unfortunate but five flights out of 400 isn’t a major issue. There is no major issue with our operation today. A couple of minor unrelated issues have meant we had to cancel five flights out of Sydney today. It’s a combination of bad weather in other ports, some crew were unwell and one of our aircraft had a technical issue.”

The cancellations were compounded after dozens of flights were grounded the previous day due to thick fog.

Many customers complained about the lack of communication, with some saying they received no text messages, and knew nothing about the cancellations until they got inside the teminal. News.com.au also reports that Virgin Australia and it’s low cost subsidary, Tigerair, were struggling as disgruntled Jetstar passengers tried to book flights with them.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

LATEST NEWS

TUI Boeing 737 MAX 8 to Manchester declared an emergency due to low fuel
Emergency Europe Tracking UK
August 23, 2026
TUI Airways Boeing 737 MAX 8
BY BY439 EMA G-TUMN MAN
Several flights diverted following a security breach at Manchester airport
Europe News UK
August 22, 2026
MAN
Thai Airways Boeing 777 flight TG921 to Bangkok declared an emergency and just returned to Frankfurt
Emergency Europe Germany Tracking
August 21, 2026
Thai Airways Boeing 777-3ALER
FRA HS-TKK TG TG921
United UA817 from San Francisco declared an emergency and diverted to Los Angeles
Emergency Tracking USA
August 21, 2026
United Airlines Airbus A320-232
LAX N495UA UA UA817
British Airways BA756 to Geneva was forced to divert to Paris CDG
Europe France Tracking
August 21, 2026
British Airways Airbus A320-232
BA BA756 CDG G-EUUD
Finland suspects Russian Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft of violating its airspace
Europe Military
August 21, 2026

Related news

NewsTrackingUSA

A Delta pilot requested to stay low after departure from Austin to fly over his kids in the pool

August 18, 2026
AustraliaNews

ATSB reveals a 33-centimeter maintenance light was left in the wing of a Qantas A380

August 18, 2026
EuropeGermanyIncidentNews

Tire skid marks suggest a potential disaster was narrowly averted at Munich this weekend

August 17, 2026
Middle EastNews

UAE carrier resumes overflights of Iranian airspace

August 17, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?