AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > News > ALERT 12 year jail sentence for attempted hijacking of #MH128
News

ALERT 12 year jail sentence for attempted hijacking of #MH128

Bryan Pearce
Last updated: June 7, 2018, 16:38 UTC
Published: Thursday, June 7, 2018, at 16:38 UTC
Category: News
Author: Bryan Pearce
Image Source: 9News.com.au
SHARE
Image Source: 9News.com.au

A man who threatened to set off a bomb onboard a Malaysian Airlines flight last year has been sentenced to 12 years jail, after pleading guilty. Manodh Marks is the first person in Australia to be sentenced for attempting to take control of an aircraft.

MH128 took off from Melbourne for Kuala Lumpur at 23:26 local time 30 May 2017 with 220 passengers. A few minutes after take off Mr Marks ran at the cockpit door while holding a suspicious device and told passengers he had a bomb. Passengers tackled him to the ground before the plane landed back at Melbourne Airport 15 minutes later. Passengers weren’t allowed off the aircraft until 1:30 1 June 2017.

The device he had was a portable speaker with a battery pack attached.

https://soundcloud.com/abcnews/the-pilot-on-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh128-calls-for-help-during-a-bomb-scare

Victorian County Court judge Michael McInerney told the court, “You ran to the galley outside the pilot’s door and you announced there that you had a bomb and you wanted to destroy the plane. The passengers and crew certainly were not only concerned, but convinced, that you were indeed in possession of a bomb. One can imagine the fear and distress of everyone on board.”

“Judge McInerney said the bomb threat occurred during the take-off period, a crucial time of the flight, distracting the captain and putting passengers at increased risk.
‘I believe the passengers were placed in danger.'”

The court had previously heard that Mr Marks had taken the drug ice on his way to the airport, and had been released from a psychiatric institution earlier in the day. “A medical expert who assessed Marks gave evidence that Marks had ‘heard screaming voices, thought the plane was about to crash and thought he had to do something.'”

An unnamed passenger had also told the court, “It is the memory that remains, that replays whenever someone else makes an innocent gesture, a sudden movement … at times these memories leave me unsettled and momentarily fearful.”

Mr Marks, from Sri Lanka, had begun using ice after he came to Australia in 2016. Judge McInerney also stated that his condition had improved since he had been in prison and was now remorseful.

At an earlier stage in the court case, Judge McInerney questioned why the police took so long to board, “I don’t know who made these decisions. Why wouldn’t you get the passengers off quickly? I can’t understand in these circumstances that they’ve been left on the plane for two hours after what must have been a nightmare that you never want to see or experience.”

The Prosecutor told the judge it was a tactical decision by Victoria Police to ensure that no one else was helping Mr Marks.

Mr Marks will serve a minimum 9 years in jail and will likely be deported at the end of sentence.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

LATEST NEWS

TUI Boeing 737 MAX 8 to Manchester declared an emergency due to low fuel
Emergency Europe Tracking UK
August 23, 2026
TUI Airways Boeing 737 MAX 8
BY BY439 EMA G-TUMN MAN
Several flights diverted following a security breach at Manchester airport
Europe News UK
August 22, 2026
MAN
Thai Airways Boeing 777 flight TG921 to Bangkok declared an emergency and just returned to Frankfurt
Emergency Europe Germany Tracking
August 21, 2026
Thai Airways Boeing 777-3ALER
FRA HS-TKK TG TG921
United UA817 from San Francisco declared an emergency and diverted to Los Angeles
Emergency Tracking USA
August 21, 2026
United Airlines Airbus A320-232
LAX N495UA UA UA817
British Airways BA756 to Geneva was forced to divert to Paris CDG
Europe France Tracking
August 21, 2026
British Airways Airbus A320-232
BA BA756 CDG G-EUUD
Finland suspects Russian Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft of violating its airspace
Europe Military
August 21, 2026

Related news

NewsTrackingUSA

A Delta pilot requested to stay low after departure from Austin to fly over his kids in the pool

August 18, 2026
AustraliaNews

ATSB reveals a 33-centimeter maintenance light was left in the wing of a Qantas A380

August 18, 2026
EuropeGermanyIncidentNews

Tire skid marks suggest a potential disaster was narrowly averted at Munich this weekend

August 17, 2026
Middle EastNews

UAE carrier resumes overflights of Iranian airspace

August 17, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?