AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > News > BREAKING Australian authority to announce new search area for #MH370
News

BREAKING Australian authority to announce new search area for #MH370

Last updated: June 22, 2014, 07:49 UTC
Published: Sunday, June 22, 2014, at 07:49 UTC
Category: News
Author: Melanie Kraft
SHARE
CANBERRA, June 22 (Xinhua) — The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed with Xinhua on Sunday that the agency is working on analyzing existing data and information to refine a new search area for the missing Malaysian Airline flight MH370.
Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan said the new search area will be announced by ATSB on Wednesday.
Dolan told local media earlier that the new search area would be hundreds of km south of where the first phase of underwater search had covered.
Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Bluefin-21 had searched some 850 square km of ocean floor in an area some 1,600 km off the coast of Western Australia.
The area was defined on the basis of the four acoustic signals detected by the Towed Pinger Locator deployed on Australian Defense Vessel Ocean Shield.
Since Bluefin-21 had found neither the “black box” nor any debris of the aircraft after searching for more than 40 day, the Joint Agency of Coordination Center (JACC) for the search of the MH370 announced on May 29 that that area can be discounted as the final resting place of MH370, which disappeared on March 8 carrying 239 people.
Inmarsat, the British satellite telecommunications company,told BBC last week that their data had pointed to a “hotspot” – a crash zone of the highest probability – to the southwest of the recent undersea search.
Earlier this month, a commercial ship, Fugro Equator, joined Chinese ship Zhu Kezhen to conduct a bathymetric survey — mapping of the sea floor — on an arc area of 60,000 square km, which was defined based on seventh arc where the aircraft last communicated with satellite.
The survey is expected to take three months.
The ATSB has also invited organizations to submit proposals to conduct the underwater search through a request for tender process. Companies can hand in submissions by June 30, 2014.
The underwater search is expected to begin in August and may take 12 months to finish.
ByMelanie Kraft
Melanie's aviation journey began at a young age, earning her first pilot certifications while still a teenager, before she ever held a driver’s license! As lead journalist at AIRLIVE.net, she plays a pivotal role in shaping the voice and editorial direction of the website. Her experience spans flight operations, air traffic coordination and emergency incident analysis.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

LATEST NEWS

British Airways BA274 from Las Vegas is declaring an emergency on approach to London Heathrow
Emergency Europe Tracking UK
August 18, 2026
British Airways Airbus A350-1041
BA BA274 G-XWBL LHR
A Delta pilot requested to stay low after departure from Austin to fly over his kids in the pool
News Tracking USA
August 18, 2026
Delta Air Lines Airbus A319-114
AUS DL DL1982 N337NB
ATSB reveals a 33-centimeter maintenance light was left in the wing of a Qantas A380
Australia News
August 18, 2026
Qantas Airbus A380-800
QF SYD VH-OQK
Tire skid marks suggest a potential disaster was narrowly averted at Munich this weekend
Europe Germany Incident News
August 17, 2026
Vietnam Airlines Boeing 787-9
MUC VN VN34 VNA867
Lavatory leak spreading in cabin forced Delta DL81 from Paris to divert to London
Europe Tracking UK
August 16, 2026
Delta Air Lines Airbus A330-941
DL DL81 LHR N410DZ
All flights to Milan, Italy are currently diverting to Rome and Turin
Europe Tracking
August 16, 2026

Related news

Middle EastNews

UAE carrier resumes overflights of Iranian airspace

August 17, 2026
EuropeNews

Iberia to livestream solar eclipse from Airbus A321XLR flying at 33,000 ft

August 12, 2026
NewsUSA

American Airlines grounded all departures nationwide due to an IT outage

July 29, 2026
AustraliaFranceNewsTracking

This Airbus A350-1000ULR is flying for 24h and has hit Mach 1 ground speed 3h after takeoff

July 27, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?