AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > News > More female passengers were forced to undergo vaginal inspections than previously said at Doha Airport
News

More female passengers were forced to undergo vaginal inspections than previously said at Doha Airport

Bryan Pearce
Last updated: October 28, 2020, 12:31 UTC
Published: Wednesday, October 28, 2020, at 01:23 UTC
Category: News
Author: Bryan Pearce
SHARE

Female passengers on 10 planes flying out of Doha were forced to endure invasive physical examinations, Australia’s foreign minister said Wednesday, greatly expanding the number of women previously thought affected.

It was revealed on Sunday that women were removed from a Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight in Doha earlier this month and forced to undergo vaginal inspections after a newborn baby was found abandoned in an airport bathroom.

  • UPDATE Qatari officials said the baby girl was found in a trash can, concealed in a plastic bag and buried under garbage.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne told a Senate hearing Wednesday that women on “10 aircraft in total” had been subject to the searches she has described as “grossly disturbing” and “offensive”.

“We became aware of that yesterday through advice from our post in Doha,” she said.

She said 18 Australian women on the October 2 flight to Sydney were affected, along with “other foreign nationals”. AFP understands one French woman on the flight was among them. Minister Payne’s Office latter clarified that it was 13 Australians that were subject to the exams, and 5 from other countries. ABC News Australia reported that they understand that other nationalities subject to the exams include women from France and the UK.

The incident has sparked a diplomatic row between Australia and Qatar, with Canberra lodging protests with the Middle East nation over the treatment of its citizens.

Australia’s Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, when asked about the incident told reporters, “as a father of daughters, I could only shudder at the thought that anyone would, Australian or otherwise, it would be subjected to that. It is unacceptable … it was appalling. You can be confident those messages were conveyed very clearly, at the time and more recently. We expect to see the result of that investigation very soon.”

Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) secretary, Frances Adamson, told the Senate hearing, “There is a very strong determination [in Qatar’s Government] to report as soon as possible.” She also said the Qatari Government’s reaction “matches our own in terms of level of distress and abhorrence and a deep questioning of how this can have happened. [They are] appalled by it, do not want it to happen again and are working with us and other partners to make sure it will not happen again.” Ms Adamson also said a DFAT employee was onboard one of the flights, but was not subjected to the exam as she was not of child bearing age.

Officials said Australia was also working with other countries to jointly raise concerns with Doha but refused to name those countries, citing privacy concerns.

Payne admitted she had not spoken directly to her Qatari counterpart, saying she was “waiting to see the report” on the incident, which she expected to receive this week.

Doha’s Hamad International airport previously confirmed a broad outline of events, without providing details of the procedures, or the number of women and flights involved.

It also launched an appeal Sunday for the child’s mother to come forward, saying the baby remains unidentified but is “safe under the professional care of medical and social workers”.

The Qatar Government Communications Office released a statement, that in part said, “While the aim of the urgently-decided search was to prevent the perpetrators of the horrible crime from escaping, The State of Qatar regrets any distress or infringement on the personal freedoms of any traveler caused by this action. His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior of the State of Qatar has directed that a comprehensive, transparent investigation into the incident be conducted.”

The Transport Workers union is planning a vote on Thursday to consider a ban on all servicing, cleaning or refuelling of all Qatar flights into Sydney in protest of the treatment of the women.

New South Wales Police said that the women on QR908 were provided with medical and psychological support while in hotel quarantine in Sydney.

LATEST NEWS

TUI Boeing 737 MAX 8 to Manchester declared an emergency due to low fuel
Emergency Europe Tracking UK
August 23, 2026
TUI Airways Boeing 737 MAX 8
BY BY439 EMA G-TUMN MAN
Several flights diverted following a security breach at Manchester airport
Europe News UK
August 22, 2026
MAN
Thai Airways Boeing 777 flight TG921 to Bangkok declared an emergency and just returned to Frankfurt
Emergency Europe Germany Tracking
August 21, 2026
Thai Airways Boeing 777-3ALER
FRA HS-TKK TG TG921
United UA817 from San Francisco declared an emergency and diverted to Los Angeles
Emergency Tracking USA
August 21, 2026
United Airlines Airbus A320-232
LAX N495UA UA UA817
British Airways BA756 to Geneva was forced to divert to Paris CDG
Europe France Tracking
August 21, 2026
British Airways Airbus A320-232
BA BA756 CDG G-EUUD
Finland suspects Russian Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft of violating its airspace
Europe Military
August 21, 2026

Related news

NewsTrackingUSA

A Delta pilot requested to stay low after departure from Austin to fly over his kids in the pool

August 18, 2026
AustraliaNews

ATSB reveals a 33-centimeter maintenance light was left in the wing of a Qantas A380

August 18, 2026
EuropeGermanyIncidentNews

Tire skid marks suggest a potential disaster was narrowly averted at Munich this weekend

August 17, 2026
Middle EastNews

UAE carrier resumes overflights of Iranian airspace

August 17, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?