Multiple fatalities have been confirmed in a shooting at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida in baggage claim at terminal 2. Although police said a suspect is in custody, there are later reports of more gunfire in other terminals.
Please reload the page for updates…
- UPDATE 2225 UTC Florida shooting suspect was taken to a mental hospital in Nov. after telling the FBI the gov’t had ‘forced him to watch ISIS videos’.
- UPDATE 2205 UTC Canadian Embassy spokeswoman: Fort Lauderdale gunman was not on a Canadian flight and instead flew from Anchorage in Alaska via Minneapolis
- UPDATE 2149 UTC Bomb Squad will be carrying out a controlled explosion on a suspicious package at Fort Lauderdale shortly.
- UPDATE 2140 UTC Air Canada has confirmed that Esteban Santiago was not on any of their 10 daily flights to FLL.
- UPDATE 2117 UTC Helicopters continue to circle over airport.
Helicopters continue to circle over airport. #ABC13 #BREAKING pic.twitter.com/H0wBwuRG40
— Steve Campion (@SteveABC13) 6 janvier 2017
- UPDATE 2059 UTC Photo of the weapon released by CBS News.
- UPDATE 2058 UTC First picture of the shooter released by eye witness.
- UPDATE 2014 UTC FAA issued a ground stop for flights around the country that are destined to FLL.
- UPDATE 1951 UTC Air traffic stopped, airport closed, all flights are diverting.
- UPDATE 1950 UTC Senator Bill Nelson of Florida says shooter identified as Esteban Santiago, was carrying military ID.
- UPDATE 1947 UTC 5 dead, 8 injured, suspect detained.
- UPDATE 1816 UTC Airport confirmed: there is an ongoing incident in Terminal 2.
BREAKING: More shots being fired at Fort Lauderdale airport, there may be a second suspect. pic.twitter.com/bYXsrQVxa6
— Tennessee GOP (@TEN_GOP) 6 janvier 2017