AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
0

No products in the cart.

Notification Show More
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
0
Search
  • News
  • Emergency
  • Accident
  • Incident
  • Tracking
  • Blog
  • Report
  • Military
  • Space
  • CamsLIVE
  • Store
    • T-shirts
    • Hat
    • Models
    • Toys
    • Boeing
    • Airbus
    • Space
    • My Account
    • Order tracking
Follow US
AIRLIVE Aviation news network
Get aviation breaking news on WhatsApp
AIRLIVE > All articles > Military > An airstrike was launched less than 48 hours after the devastating Kabul attack
Military

An airstrike was launched less than 48 hours after the devastating Kabul attack

AIRLIVE contibutors
Last updated: August 28, 2021, 15:13 UTC
Published: Saturday, August 28, 2021, at 15:13 UTC
Category: Military
Author: AIRLIVE contibutors
SHARE

An airstrike was launched from beyond Afghanistan less than 48 hours after the devastating Kabul attack that killed 13 Americans.

Biden authorized the drone strike and it was ordered by Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, a defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to provide details not yet publicly announced.

Central Command said the drone strike was conducted in Nangarhar province against an IS member believed to be involved in planning attacks against the United States in Kabul. The strike killed one individual, spokesman Navy Capt. William Urban said.

It wasn’t clear if the targeted individual was involved directly in the Thursday suicide blast outside the gates of the Kabul airport, where crowds of Afghans were desperately trying to get in as part of the ongoing evacuation.

The airstrike came after Biden declared Thursday that perpetrators of the attack would not be able to hide. “We will hunt you down and make you pay,” he said. Pentagon leaders told reporters Friday that they were prepared for whatever retaliatory action the president ordered.

The president was warned Friday to expect another lethal attack in the closing days of a frantic U.S.-led evacuation. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden’s national security team offered a grim outlook.

Late Friday, the State Department again urged Americans to stay away from airport gates, including “the New Ministry of Interior gate.”

Few new details about the airport attack emerged a day later, but the Pentagon corrected its initial report that there had been suicide bombings at two locations. It said there was just one — at or near the Abbey Gate — followed by gunfire. The initial report of a second bombing at the nearby Baron Hotel proved to be false, said Maj. Gen. Hank Taylor of the Pentagon’s Joint Staff; he attributed the mistake to initial confusion.

Based on a preliminary assessment, U.S. officials believe the suicide vest used in the attack, which killed at least 169 Afghans in addition to the 13 Americans, carried about 25 pounds of explosives and was loaded with shrapnel, a U.S. official said Friday. A suicide bomb typically carries five to 10 pounds of explosives, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss preliminary assessments of the bombing.

The White House said that as of Friday morning, about 12,500 people were airlifted from Kabul in the last 24 hours on U.S. and coalition aircraft; in the 12 hours that followed, another 4,200 people were evacuated. Psaki said about 300 Americans had departed and the State Department was working with about 500 more who want to leave. The administration has said it intends to push on and complete the airlift despite the terror threats.

Kirby told reporters the U.S. military is monitoring credible, specific Islamic State threats “in real time.”

“We certainly are prepared and would expect future attempts,” Kirby said. He declined to describe details of any additional security measures being taken, including those implemented by the Taliban, around the airport gates and perimeter. He said there were fewer people in and around the gates Friday.

ByAIRLIVE contibutors
Follow:
Since its founding in 2014, AIRLIVE has grown into one of the most trusted aviation news networks in the world, thanks to the dedication and expertise of its diverse team of contributors from across the globe. AIRLIVE’s crew include aviation journalists, air traffic analysts, airport insiders and aviation enthusiasts.

LATEST NEWS

British Airways BA756 to Geneva was forced to divert to Paris CDG
Europe France Tracking
August 21, 2026
British Airways Airbus A320-232
BA BA756 CDG G-EUUD
Finland suspects Russian Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft of violating its airspace
Europe Military
August 21, 2026
Air France AF966 and Lufthansa LH686 to Tel Aviv made a U-turn over Turkey
Europe France Germany Spotting
August 20, 2026
AF AF966 LH LH686
Lufthansa Boeing 747 flight LH430 to Chicago is declaring an emergency and diverting
Emergency Europe Tracking
August 20, 2026
Lufthansa Boeing 747-830
D-ABYG LH LH430
United flight UA957 is declaring an emergency and returning to Geneva
Emergency Europe Tracking
August 20, 2026
United Airlines Boeing 767-3CBER
GVA N686UA UA UA957
Air France AF50 to Washington is declaring an emergency and returning to Paris
Emergency Europe France Tracking
August 19, 2026
Air France Boeing 777-328ER
AF AF50 CDG F-GSQB

Related news

Middle EastMilitary

Trump hid in catering truck to secretly board an Air Force C-32A and leave NATO summit in Turkey

August 12, 2026
IncidentMilitaryUSA

NTSB is investigating a near-miss incident involving Marine One carrying President Donald Trump

August 5, 2026
MilitaryUSA

A F-35B fighter jet has crashed near MCAS Miramar in San Diego

July 31, 2026
MilitaryUSA

‘No reprimands, no firings, no problem’ after Blue Angels making low-altitude flyover over Pensacola Beach

July 18, 2026
AIRLIVE.net is an Aviation news network supported by a team of journalists and aviation enthusiasts.
Add AIRLIVE as Google preferred source
Since 2014, AIRLIVE.net has been publishing accurate aviation news and live updates from our sources around the world. This has led to the creation of the largest aviation community on social media.
Eyewitness to an event?
Alert AIRLIVE's newsdesk on WhatsApp
AIRLIVEAIRLIVE
Follow US
Copyright AIRLIVE 2026
  • Contact
  • Submit a story
  • Privacy policy
  • Return policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?